2011/11/04

"Day At The Races" - Abrahamson

Practice a new piano song "Day At The Races". Has lots of scale type melodies that back track then expand on the same idea using "8va" variations. The left hand is using simple 1, 4, 57 progressions but mixed up in an interesting ways.

After wresting with just the right hand while programming I found myself reading it pretty quickly once I got to know what it is they are trying say. To me it sound like a Irish Dance rather than a Day at the Races.

Pay attention to the fingering and relax wrists. Tempo was at 90. I plugged it in with pianos but later gravitated towards the organ and playing is like a 'Bach' or 'Church Hymn'.

With all this movement throughout the piece the bass noted "A" remains in place like the weight holding the song in place while the rest is suspended, flowing above.