2011/05/24

Dave's Accordion School


Photography by Todd Stefani

Today we went through songs in "French Music" book that I lost then found. I worked really hard on "Someday My Prince Will Come" that I learned on piano. Dave showed me 'tri-tone chords' on the ending and middle transition which made it sound much fuller. Stephen Grabstein, a great accordion player was standing by listening as we were going through this. He has this song on his CD and he look curious waiting by.


The other song "La Vie En Rose" which Veronica says is the most popular request song from
people who come through their door. The version Dave and Veronica had given me was pretty old and look liked it had been xerox a thousand times so I retyped it in PRINT MUSIC. I figured out the fingering (how I thought it should be played at home) and asked Dave to check it. He said what I had worked.

"Valse D' Amelie" was the last song that I fixed by changing it to the correct key of "E" rather than "C". I asked about the fingering at the end of the piece and he added a few fingering to make it correct. The "ties" on the notes of "slurs" he called them "fraizing marks".

My accordion case is made for a "Cordivox" and it is a little too big for the accordion so it slides around a bit and I move this thing around alot. I asked Dave about a case so that I might have better luck keeping it safe. He suggested I get a smaller bag-type that fits on you back. (for $70.00 that is lighter than the big accordion case). It fits on your back so my left arm will not take so much stress. (I have been having pain off and on for the last few months) and paid for today's lesson and one I had missed!

Horner Soft Case for the Accordion


Set List for Book