2012/08/02

Reworking "Work Smart"

Recently I've been reworking a least listened to song "Work Smart" from my C.D. "On Time" (2012).  After talking about this song with a fellow musician I decided to take his advice and write with less chords.  

In the original version the CHORUS had FIVE CHORDS ... and the VERSE had SIX.   I had just discovered some more chords for a bridge then I met with Damien Riley.  After speaking with him I decided to make the new TWO chords section I was calling a BRIDGE  and use that as the MAIN VERSE.  Trying it anyways.  

The results were much better.  Actually the song is mostly now all CHORUS like Damien Riley suggested.  I came up 5 pages of new lyrics to see if there was some undiscovered words or ideas and settled on these.


Work Smart 
and work hard but work smart
all the problems you've gotten
be sure to solve em

Work Smart 
and work hard but work smart
whatever you got today 
will be gone tomorrow

Work Smart 
and work hard but work smart
all the plans that you made
be sure you're on 'em

(INSTRUMENTAL SECTION)

Work Smart 
and work hard but work smart
all the problems you've gotten
be sure to solve
  
Work Smart 
and work hard but work smart
whatever you do today 
will be gone tomorrow


The results from this rework made the first half the alum much better.  No longer skipping over the stinker or looking for excuses listening to the lousy guitar work.   Single note 'biffs' like on "The Lone Ranger" are ok if the performance was strong but I would like zero blunders.